Thursday, August 23, 2012

Brown Butter Chocolate Stuffed Heath Bar Cookies

So, these are the famous Brown Butter Chocolate Stuffed Heath Bar cookies from the blog, How Sweet It Is.  I've never even made brown butter before and I was successful on my first try!  Not too difficult... but worth it because it makes all the difference.  Not to mention that browning butter makes the kitchen smell like heaven.


From this picture you can clearly see that it really is "chocolate-stuffed" and it is ohhhh so good.  Yet another Heath Bar recipe! If you read my Yellow Heath Bar Cake Recipe you will see my rant about how I accumulated so much heath bar.  But you can never have enough, so it's definitely not a problem.


The countdown is officially on.  I have four days until I leave for Lewis & Clark College!  For those of you who don't know it is a small liberal arts school right outside of Portland, OR.  I am experiencing an entire slew of emotions: fright, excitement, nervousness, sadness, along with anything and everything else you could possibly imagine.  One of my biggest fears is that I won't be able to continue my baking!!  I am sure I will find a way though, because it's something I'm not sure I could live without.  I bought a hand mixer, a couple large bowls, and some of the other essentials.  There's also a baking club so thats something I will look further into.

Random fact: when I was halfway through making the cookies I realized I only had one egg, so I had to walk over to my friendly neighbors house at 9pm and ask for another egg!

And now I am ranting so you probably just want the recipe, am I right? Well, here you go.

Ingredients:

This recipe will make about 18-20 medium sized cookies


1.5 sticks or 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of chopped Heath Bar or toffee bits

chocolate chunks (I chopped up a bar of Trader Joe's dark chocolate truffle, which not to mention is to die for)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.


Place the butter in a pan over medium heat.  Whisk until butter melts and continue to whisk until you start to see brown bits appearing at the bottom of the pan.  When this occurs, immediately remove it from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. 


Once the butter has cooled, whisk in both sugars (brown and granulated) in a large bowl and mix until it is combined.  Do not expect it to be very smooth at first.  It will be grainy and crumbly.


Add egg and egg yolk.  Mix well and it should start to come together more.  Next, add vanilla and mix until well combined.


Combine dry ingredients in a separate medium sized bowl: flour, baking soda, and salt.
Place the dry ingredients into the large bowl with the wet mixture and mix until a dough forms (this may take a little bit of patience). 


Roll a little ball of cookie dough onto a pre-greased cookie sheet. 


Place a chunk (or 2 depending on your liking) of chocolate on top of the first piece of cookie dough.


Roll out another ball of cookie dough about the same size, place on top, and push down and seal the sides (not pictured) to flatten the cookie dough slightly so that it is able to bake more evenly. 


Bake in the oven at 325 for about 15-20 minutes.
Remove, and let cool off on a cooling rack for the desired amount of time. Enjoy!


I will definitely be making these again!  Cookies are always quick and easy, yet just as satisfying.  Thanks for the growing support and be sure to come check back in the next couple of days for something new! Always open for suggestions, recommendations, questions, etc.! 

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment