Monday, May 20, 2013

Baked Churros

Hola señores y señoras! Buenas tardes!



These are authentic spanish churros, made by your one and only Kelsey.  Although traditionally in Spain they are baked plain and dipped in chocolate, I decided to go the American route and coat them with cinnamon and sugar instead. 

I have many fond memories of going to San Francisco Giants game when I was little and always making sure I got a nice warm churro before I left.  I never realized how easy they were to make!  It is true that most places probably are deep frying their churros but I wanted to make them healthier and easier for myself to make. 

I made these a few weeks ago for my spanish class at school for some end of the semester extra credit.  Because of this I made about 20 churros that were much smaller than normal (maybe 3 inches long) because I needed more, instead of your typical foot long churro.  



These do tend to cool off pretty quick though so you are going to want to try and serve them right away or keep them on a low warm setting in the oven.  I had to make these the night before I served them so I broiled them for a few minutes in the oven the next morning, but they were definitely not as good as they were right after they had finished baking. Make sure you store them in a dry air tight container if you are not serving right away.

I am officially on summer and can't wait to share a wide range of recipes with you all.  Up next are butterscotch caramel Smores bars!

Also want to make sure I give a shout out to Sprinkle Bakes, one of my favorite blogs, for the inspiration for this recipe!

Ingredients: 

This recipe makes about 10, 7 inch churros. 

2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup Earth Balance (or butter)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Optional: olive oil

Directions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and pre-grease baking sheets. 
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, and salt and stir until dissolved (on no heat).
3. Add in margarine or butter over medium heat until melted and it starts to boil.  Remove from heat and add flour.  Mix thoroughly.
4. In a small bowl combine the eggs and vanilla.  Add this mixture to the dough and combine until completely incorporated using a fork or a wooden spoon.
5. Let the dough cool, refrigerate if needed.  This is necessary to pipe the churros and have a ridges pattern.



6. Once the dough has cooled, pipe the churros using a very wide star tip onto a baking pan that is greased or lined with parchment.  For each churro that is piped. you will probably need to use scissors to cut the end of the dough as it will not stop coming out without doing this. 

My churros were very small you can make yours as big or as small as you would like. 


7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the sides are a very light brown color and have slightly puffed up.  Then turn on the broiler and watch for a minute or 2 while they turn more crispy. 
8. Immediately after they have been removed from the oven you are going to need to roll each churro in a cinnamon sugar mixture.  If you find that it is not sticking well enough, you can brush each churro with a small amount of olive oil and then roll it in the cinnamon sugar. 

Serve and eat as soon as possible!

                                                

Definitely a very short prep time and cooking time as well which make these much easier than I ever imagined!

Thanks for tuning in! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! Happy Baking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment