Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Football Cupcakes!

This post is extremely late but what's new, I have a million things to do in this hectic college life of mine! It was so exciting to see the San Francisco 49er's in the Super-Bowl this year and devastating to see them lose, but they did not go down without a fight. Proud to be a native Bay Area sports fan these days!

I made these a few weeks ago for the Super-Bowl and anyone who was watching in my lounge a few weeks ago.  I'll take any excuse I can to bake, let's be honest. 

Just so you all know before I proceed this is going to be a decorating post, not a recipe post!  I totally cheated because of my time constraints and used boxed chocolate cake mix and bought frosting.  I rarely do this but I had to so sorry about that.

These cupcakes look adorable and are quite simple to execute.  All you need is a few ingredients and a little bit of patience.  They are not only perfect for professional sporting events but also for kids birthdays or just for fun!

I have not been on my baking game lately and I really miss it so I am hoping that maybe this weekend I will be able to carve out a few hours to relax and "whip" out (see what I did there) my oven mitt and electric mixer.  

If any one has any suggestions just let me know, I'm always interested in all of your opinions and could always use some fresh ideas. 

What you will need: 
- Cupcakes and liners
- Frosting (both of these can be found in my recipe index)
- 24 unwrapped Tootsie Rolls
- Small star piping tip and bag


Step 1: Start off with 24 ready made chocolate or vanilla cupcakes and your choice of frosting, which must be thick enough to pipe.  Dye 90% of it green for the grass and leave the other 10% white for the lacing on the footballs.

Step 2: Microwave the Tootsie Rolls for 15-20 seconds, so that they are still in tact but just soft enough to mold into shape.  Shape each Tootsie Roll so that it is an oval to represent a football.  Using the smallest round piping tip you have, pipe one line in the center vertically and 3 lines across horizontally to displaying the lacing. 

Step 3: Pipe the green frosting onto each cupcake using a star tip to try and represent green grass. 

Step 4: Place one football on the top of each cupcake and you are done! Hand them out, bring to a party, make for a birthday, and enjoy!

As always, I hope you try it out and have a good rest of February- spring is going to be here before we know it! 

Happy baking everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment